Workers Compensation We Get You Back on Your Feet

Workers' Compensation

This is How You do Worker's Compensation Claims

At Shaw Law, we do lawsuits against businesses and people who did not maintain their property reasonably.

What We Can Do For You

At Shaw Law, we can certainly help you do a worker's compensation case or locate somebody who can.

But, we also investigate whether you can sue somebody else other than your employer -- these are called "Third-Party Actions."

You'd be surprised how many work accidents happen on property that was owned by somebody other than the employer or on property that was to be maintained by somebody other than the employer.

This unreasonable behavior then leads to your slip and fall injury.

If you believe you might be entitled to workers' compensation, contact Shaw Law at (260) 777-7777 to schedule your free consultation today!

Can You Sue Your Employer for a Slip and Fall?

Sometimes you are hurt at work in a slip and fall and you are prevented from "suing" your employer in a court of law.

When You Can't Sue Your Employer and Must File a Worker's Compensation Claim

What do you do then?

Slip and falls are one of the most common types of work related accidents. According to the National Safety Council, slip and fall injuries account for over 20 percent of all workplace injuries. That's more than 1,000,000 worker's compensation claims started each year.

The majority of those injuries are minor, but a large percentage of slip and falls result in much more serious injuries: these include head trauma, disk herniations in your spine, broken bones, or burns.

With few exceptions, employers are bound by rules set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and its regulations. These regulations mandate safety measures in the workplace. An investigation by OHSA can review violations and the employer can be fined.

In a Third-Party Lawsuit Against Somebody Else, They can Blame Your Employer and Reduce your Award Due to Comparative Fault in Indiana

This investigation can then be used in court in a third-party action, which allows the defendant to sometimes blame the employer in any injury-producing accident. This perversely allows the defendant to lower its responsibility to pay the injured worker by blaming the employer, too.

An example is if you are struck by a truck in a parking lot. You can sue the truck driver and his employer, for sure. But those defendants might blame the store for having inadequate parking lot security or rules.

It's a hard world out there for people injured while at work.

But, slip and falls are the most common injury at work.

The most common causes of falls at work are:

  • Spilled liquids
  • Cracked, torn or uneven flooring
  • Inadequate or non-existent warning signs
  • Poor lighting
  • Holes in the floor or parking lots
  • Broken or uneven stairs
  • Exposed cables running along the floor or ground
Compensation for Workplace Accidents

Employees injured in workplace accidents have a right to workers' compensation benefits.

You do NOT need to prove the employer did something wrong (negligence).

An employee who contributed to the cause of his workplace injury is entitled to workers' compensation benefits. Just as it isn't necessary to prove the employer was negligent, workers' comp laws do not bar the employee from coverage if the slip and fall accident is entirely his fault.

There are a few exceptions. If actions that result in an injury are intentional (actions that have a high probability of causing injury or exhibit a "wanton disregard of probable consequences"), a work accident claim may be denied. These situations are normally found in "fraud" cases of injury or when a worker intentionally does something he knows is unsafe.

Normally, your injury alone is sufficient for you to file a workers' comp claim and receive benefits.

Benefits can include:

  • Payment of Medical Bills
  • Payment for Physical Therapy
  • Out-of-Pocket Expenses for Medicine or Crutches or Wheelchairs/Scooters
  • Lost Wages, but not at a full repayment rate (sometimes 2/3)
How to Begin Your Work Accident Claim

To begin a work accident claim, you have to file a "first report of injury" form (DWC-1) with your employer. You must enter specific information about the date, time and cause of your slip and fall accident on the form. If your injuries are serious enough to require immediate hospitalization, you may complete the DWC-1 form once you're feeling okay enough to do so.

Then, your employer will provide you with a list of "company-approved" physicians. The workers' comp insurance company of your employer then pays these physicians.

Despite obvious potential conflicts of interest, in most cases you have no choice. If you want your bills paid, you see the company's doctors.

Then you choose one of these physicians as your "primary treating physician."

How the Treatment Works

Your primary physician examines you and, if necessary, refers you to a specialist. These can include surgeons, podiatrists, orthopedic doctors and neurologists or other doctors whose practices are involved in the medicinal area of your injury.

If you believe your injury is much more severe than your primary treating physician is willing to acknowledge (or that your physician isn't acting in good faith), you may request a second opinion from another company-approved physician. You can see your own physician, but there's no guarantee you'll be reimbursed by workers' comp. You may be personally responsible for any fees your private doctor charges.

Your workers' comp physician determines when you've reached a level of MMI (maximum medical improvement). At that time, he can provide the "return to work" form, finding that you are able to return to duties.

How to Return to Work

Your treating physician can also diagnose:

  • Temporary Partial Disability -- you can resume your former job duties only after a time period of recovery.
  • Permanent Partial Disability -- you may be able to return to work, but not at your former job.
  • Permanent Total Disability - you won't be able to return to your former job or do any other type of work.
  • Your employer may give you a different position that accommodates your disability or you may have to seek employment elsewhere if such a position isn't available.
What We Can Do For You

At Shaw Law, we can certainly help you do a worker's compensation case or locate somebody who can.

But, we also investigate whether you can sue somebody else other than your employer -- these are called "Third-party Actions."

You'd be surprised how many work accidents happen on property that was owned by somebody other than the employer or on property that was to be maintained by somebody other than the employer.

Most workplace slip and fall accidents limit an injured employee's benefits to workers' compensation. This includes payment of medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and a portion of lost wages. Workers' comp benefits do not include payment for pain and suffering. An injury resulting in a disability may entitle the employee to a separate cash settlement award.

There are some cases where a slip and fall at work may result in a "third-party" personal injury claim or lawsuit (against parties other than an employer). These cases entitle an injured worker to payment of medical bills and out-of-pocket expenses, the full amount of lost wages, AND an amount for pain and suffering.

In those cases, you must prove fault (negligence). See our discussion of "Slip and Fall Laws" above that discuss negligence.

In short, negligence means a duty to you that was breached by the defendant and caused your injuries. The standard of care associated with that duty means the defendant acted unreasonably compared to normal people or businesses (or failed to do something that would have reasonably prevented your injury).

If I Fall While at Work, I Make a Worker's Compensation

One of the lesser-known laws in Indiana is that a person cannot sue his or her employer directly for negligence (except in rare circumstances), if the injury occurred while working.

These laws were intended to protect employers and to entice companies to locate to Indiana so that people could be hired and the economy grow.

Worker's compensation "exclusivity" -- as the law is called -- means that an injured person can bring a worker's compensation claim and seek payment of medical bills and for permanent and temporary injuries, but typically at reduced rates set by the Indiana legislature. If you have a worker's compensation case, we might be able to help you.

But, you should do one step more.

Oftentimes, the slip and fall victim might not realize that the fall occurred on land or property owned or controlled by somebody other than the employer. Or that the land and property was being maintained pursuant to a contract of maintenance that obligated the contractor to keep the property in a reasonably safe condition.

That is why you should never assume you don't have a case in Indiana.

Call Shaw Law at (260) 777-7777 today. We will help determine if you have the right to seek full compensation for your claim and from whom.


Read Our 5-Star Reviews
  • A Lawyer you can count on.

    “Shaw Law works tirelessly for you! I received much more than I expected for my injuries in a fall. Jeff is not only very knowledgeable he is a great communicator and keeps you informed and up to date. ...”

    - Kim
  • Not just the lawyers you need, but the lawyers you WANT.

    “The attorneys at Shaw Law are absolutely exceptional. From the consultation: which was much more information and help than any of the other (9) Law offices I consulted with, to the one-on-one ...”

    - Tristen K
  • Jeff Shaw was Very Professional

    “I would highly recommend using Jeff Shaw as your attorney. He is very professional and nice and cares about getting you the best results. He was very helpful in my case. He worked 24/7 to take care of ...”

    - Shelby Kunes
  • Attorney Shaw got me a fair settlement, much more than I thought we were going to get.

    “Shaw Law handled our case in a caring and professional manner. Attorney Shaw let us know what was happening with each step of the process. He was available to talk to us at any time. Including nights ...”

    - Randy & Kathy M
  • I Told Him He Now Felt Like a Member of Our Family More Than Our Attorney.

    “Mr. Shaw told me from the beginning that he would be willing to help me and my husband get justice. Through every step of the way, he explained what was happening and why.”

    - Stephanie B.


  • $5,000,000 Verdict in Indianapolis, IN

    Bicyclist Struck by Indianapolis School Bus (independent contractor) Awarded $5M by Indianapolis Jury (Upheld by Verdict, $4.4M Paid)

  • $3,040,000 Verdict in Gary, IN

    Blackjack Dealer Awarded for Slip and Fall on Ice in Trump Casino Parking Lot

  • $1,750,000 Verdict in Hammond, IN

    Child Dies in Fire, Landlord Failed to Provide Adequate Smoke Detectors

  • $1,460,000 Verdict Near the Ozarks of Missouri

    Sheriff's Deputy who Collides With Improperly Transported Manufactured Home Convoy

  • $750,000 $750,000 Verdict in Delphi, IN

    $750,000 Verdict for Lady in Golf Cart Struck by Drunk Driver Awarded by Jury in Carroll County

  • $750,000 Settlement for Paralyzed Man Shot at Indy Gas Station

    Man Shot and Paralyzed at Gas Station by Unknown Assailant from Unruly Crowd That Gathered After Murder of Person the Night Before at Same Site

  • $750,000 Settlement in Indianapolis, IN

    $750,000 Settlement Slip and Fall Indianapolis Woman Falls on Water in Produce Section of Indianapolis Grocery Store Breaking Leg.

  • $605,000 $605,000 Verdict in Valparaiso, IN

    $605,000 Verdict - Child Awarded for Facial Scarring When Landlord Failed to Cover Exposed Hot Water Pipe in Living Room

  • $500,000 $500,000 Settlement in Bluffton, IN

    $500,000 Wrongful Death Settlement in Bluffton, Indiana for Woman Killed When She Crossed Center-Line Into Path of Oncoming Speeding Semi-Truck

  • $500,000 $500,000 Verdict in Kokomo

    $500,000 Verdict for Woman Slip and Fall in Domino's Pizza Restaurant on Water (Reduced to $375,000)



  • Work Directly With Your Attorney

    When you call SHAW LAW, you get to work directly with Attorney JJ Shaw and Attorney Sky Shaw.

  • We Maximize Your Recovery

    SHAW LAW has obtained MILLIONS of dollars in compensation for our clients—and we work to get you your maximum results.

  • We Get You Back On Your Feet

    When you’ve been injured, it can feel like your world is falling apart around you. SHAW LAW is dedicated to helping you get back on your feet and recover what has been taken from you.

  • Fully Transparent — Guarantee

    We make sure that you and your family are constantly up-to-date with the status of your case. Call, text, email, or DM us at any time—and we will get back to you.

We Get You Back on Your Feet

Free & Confidential Consultations
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.