Types of Crimes that Cause Injury
We ONLY represent the victims of crime.
We NEVER represent criminals or accused criminals in any criminal court at any time of their criminal court proceedings.
Crime in Indiana is a big problem. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, in 2019 Indiana violent crimes were over 350 murders, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults per every 100,000 population.
We NEVER represent criminals or accused criminals in any criminal court at any time of their criminal court proceedings. We bring actions in civil courts where money damages is the remedy. We do not represent any person in any criminal court action involving the same crime. We are not involved in the sentencing of any criminal nor the criminal trial of that person.
We help ONLY those injured persons to get complete justice and full damages for ALL of their injuries, including for pain and suffering, and the horrible effect upon their future lives.
Complete Damages and Full Justice can NOT be accomplished by any criminal court when ordering restitution or by any state agency or group. Only a Crime Victims law firm like Shaw Law, is able to get you complete damages for pain and suffering, disfigurement and lost wages. We are here to get you FULL JUSTICE. Not just restitution.
Many times we are asked what types of injury cases we handle when a person is injured by a crime. We handle the following cases (and some others, too).
Generally speaking, the type of crimes (or near-crimes) fall into 3 basic categories:
1. Negligent Security or Inadequate Security at Businesses/Residential Buildings that Lead to Foreseeable Crimes like Assault, Sexual Assault, Attacks, Fights, Altercations and Shootings
- Armed Robbery, Chases by Police, or Security that Injures Customers of Business or Innocent Bystanders
- Assaults at Airports, Casinos, or Gyms
- Assaults at Apartment Complexes, Hotels or Rented Homes
- Assaults at Private Schools, Public Schools, Universities and Colleges
- Assaults at Taverns, Bars and Clubs
- Assaults in Unsupervised Parking Lots, Vacant Lots or Parking Lots, Bus Stops or Adjoining Land Next to Businesses
- Assaults at Work
- Bank Robberies
- Inadequate or Negligent Security at Businesses that Lead to Foreseeable Crimes like Assault, Sexual Assault or Rape, Attacks, Fights, Altercations or Shootings
- Robberies or Thefts that Injured Customers or Innocent Bystanders
- Sexual Assaults or Rapes on Business Property, Shopping Centers, or Shopping Malls
- Sexual Assaults or Rapes at Unsupervised or Unwatched Parking Lots and Parking Garages
- Sexual Assaults or Rapes on Caretakers Property
- Sexual Assaults or Rapes at Schools, Work, or Gyms
- Shootings on Business Property like Gas Stations, Convenience Stores or Apartment Complexes
- Shootings at Schools, Work, Events, or on Public Grounds
2. Negligent Driving or Bad Driving by Employees or Customers of Businesses that Injury People
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Semi-Truck Crashes Where Driver was Cited or Ticketed
- Semi-Truck Crashes Where Truck Driver had Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation Violations
- Improper Driving or Reckless Driving by Semi-Truck Operators
- Improper Driving or Negligent Driving by Business Vehicles and Business Employees that Injure People
- Dram Shop or Overserving Intoxicated Drivers that Injured People
- Persons Injured by Business Delivery Vehicles such as Amazon, Wal-Mart, FedEx, USPS or UPS Negligent Drivers
- Persons Injured by Drunk Drivers
- Persons Injured by Semi-Truck Crashes or Box Trucks Negligent Driving
- Persons Injured by Uber or Lyft Drivers Negligent Driving
3. Sex Crimes that Injure Innocent Children or Women/Men
- Child Molestation at School or Place of Business or by Caretakers
- Molestations at School, Work or Caretakers Property
- Molested By School Workers, Teachers, Clergymen, Social Organizations like Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts or Other Organizations
- Repressed Memory Victims
- Sex Trafficking Offenses
- Sexual Attacks or Rapes at Public Schools
- Sexual Attacks or Rapes at Universities, Fraternities, Sororities or Colleges
- Sexual Assaults or Rapes at Churches or Places of Worship
- Sexual Attacks or Rapes at Private Schools
- Sexual Offenses or Rapes Involving Minors
By doing this, we not only help injured victims of crime recover for their own individual injuries, we help the community in general by providing incentives for all businesses in that community to act more safely.
In addition to handling claims and lawsuits for victims of crime, we are here to provide assistance with the things that no court can accomplish – directing you to effective counseling, support groups and a friendly shoulder to lean upon “24/7” -- before, during and after your case.
Confidentiality is very important to you and to us. We keep all unnecessary identification from public view, when possible. We have staff members designed to protect your confidence. We take this part of our services very seriously.
A Lawyer you can count on.- Kim
Not just the lawyers you need, but the lawyers you WANT.- Tristen K
Jeff Shaw was Very Professional- Shelby Kunes
Attorney Shaw got me a fair settlement, much more than I thought we were going to get.- Randy & Kathy M
I Told Him He Now Felt Like a Member of Our Family More Than Our Attorney.- Stephanie B.
$5,000,000 Verdict in Indianapolis, IN
Bicyclist Struck by Indianapolis School Bus (independent contractor) Awarded $5M by Indianapolis Jury (Upheld by Verdict, $4.4M Paid)
$3,040,000 Verdict in Gary, IN
Blackjack Dealer Awarded for Slip and Fall on Ice in Trump Casino Parking Lot
$1,750,000 Verdict in Hammond, IN
Child Dies in Fire, Landlord Failed to Provide Adequate Smoke Detectors
$1,460,000 Verdict Near the Ozarks of Missouri
Sheriff's Deputy who Collides With Improperly Transported Manufactured Home Convoy
$750,000 $750,000 Verdict in Delphi, IN
$750,000 Verdict for Lady in Golf Cart Struck by Drunk Driver Awarded by Jury in Carroll County
$750,000 Settlement for Paralyzed Man Shot at Indy Gas Station
Man Shot and Paralyzed at Gas Station by Unknown Assailant from Unruly Crowd That Gathered After Murder of Person the Night Before at Same Site
$750,000 Settlement in Indianapolis, IN
$750,000 Settlement Slip and Fall Indianapolis Woman Falls on Water in Produce Section of Indianapolis Grocery Store Breaking Leg.
$605,000 $605,000 Verdict in Valparaiso, IN
$605,000 Verdict - Child Awarded for Facial Scarring When Landlord Failed to Cover Exposed Hot Water Pipe in Living Room
$500,000 $500,000 Settlement in Bluffton, IN
$500,000 Wrongful Death Settlement in Bluffton, Indiana for Woman Killed When She Crossed Center-Line Into Path of Oncoming Speeding Semi-Truck
$500,000 $500,000 Verdict in Kokomo
$500,000 Verdict for Woman Slip and Fall in Domino's Pizza Restaurant on Water (Reduced to $375,000)