Falls with Obstructions in Indiana
Let Shaw Law Protect Your Rights & Health
Not only can slippery and wet surfaces cause slip and fall accidents, but also objects and the environment. When a slip and fall or trip and fall injury is caused by an obstruction, the owner of the property where the accident occurred is liable for the victim’s damages. One of the most important steps to recover financial compensation is hiring an experienced premises liability attorney.
At Shaw Law, our legal team specializes in slip and fall cases. With more than three decades of experience, we have a successful track record of winning millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources to get the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Types of Obstructions Causing Falls
Slips occur when there is less traction or friction between your shoes and the surface. While spills, oily floors, and inclement weather conditions are common causes of slips and falls, such accidents can also be caused by loose and unanchored mats or rugs or sleek flooring.
In addition, trips occur when your foot hits or strikes an object, causing you to lose your balance and fall. Common causes of trip and fall accidents clutter or debris on the ground, wiring, and uneven surfaces.
Our legal team handles the following types of slip and fall and trip and fall accidents involving obstructions:
- Automatic gates and doors – Property entry gates that are automatically operated by motor controllers are responsible for various personal injury claims. Sliding or swinging gates may strike people and vehicles. If such accidents are caused by a malfunction, we may be able to bring product liability lawsuits.
- Cables and cords – Whether you’re in someone’s home or a restaurant or store, the property may have exposed cables or cords on the ground. Tripping and falling from a cable or cord can lead to serious and catastrophic injuries.
- Handicapped ramps – Although handicapped ramps are meant to be safe and used to help people with disabilities, and improperly maintained handicapped ramp may actually result in a slip and fall accident. If a ramp has worn down over time and not properly maintained or repaired without any warning signs, a property owner can be held liable for a ramp accident.
- Ice and snow – During the winter season, businesses and other property owners must exercise reasonable care to clear their premises of snow and ice to protect their patrons and visitors. Failure to clear or lean the entryways, sidewalks, and stairways that frequently accumulate ice and snow during the colder months of the year can lead to a slip and fall accident and a lawsuit.
- Mats and carpets – Almost every restaurant, convenience store, or gas station has an entrance mat or runner. While these mats are designed to remove liquid substances people can bring into the establishment and help them walk more safely. However, wrinkled or loose mats can become a tripping hazard and do more harm than good.
- Spilled liquids – Spilled liquids in grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants, and other businesses are a common cause of slip and fall accidents in Indiana. If a property owner or manager fails to clean up a spill or warn others of the spill, they can be held liable for any injury caused by the spill.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation!
Injuries can range from bruises and sprains to fracture or broken bones. You may be to pay medical expenses upfront and deal with not earning paycheck while you recover from injury. Let Shaw Law help you recover your entitled compensation while you make the best possible recovery from injury.
A Lawyer you can count on.- Kim
Not just the lawyers you need, but the lawyers you WANT.- Tristen K
Jeff Shaw was Very Professional- Shelby Kunes
Attorney Shaw got me a fair settlement, much more than I thought we were going to get.- Randy & Kathy M
I Told Him He Now Felt Like a Member of Our Family More Than Our Attorney.- Stephanie B.
$5,000,000 Verdict in Indianapolis, IN
Bicyclist Struck by Indianapolis School Bus (independent contractor) Awarded $5M by Indianapolis Jury (Upheld by Verdict, $4.4M Paid)
$3,040,000 Verdict in Gary, IN
Blackjack Dealer Awarded for Slip and Fall on Ice in Trump Casino Parking Lot
$1,750,000 Verdict in Hammond, IN
Child Dies in Fire, Landlord Failed to Provide Adequate Smoke Detectors
$1,460,000 Verdict Near the Ozarks of Missouri
Sheriff's Deputy who Collides With Improperly Transported Manufactured Home Convoy
$750,000 $750,000 Verdict in Delphi, IN
$750,000 Verdict for Lady in Golf Cart Struck by Drunk Driver Awarded by Jury in Carroll County
$750,000 Settlement for Paralyzed Man Shot at Indy Gas Station
Man Shot and Paralyzed at Gas Station by Unknown Assailant from Unruly Crowd That Gathered After Murder of Person the Night Before at Same Site
$750,000 Settlement in Indianapolis, IN
$750,000 Settlement Slip and Fall Indianapolis Woman Falls on Water in Produce Section of Indianapolis Grocery Store Breaking Leg.
$605,000 $605,000 Verdict in Valparaiso, IN
$605,000 Verdict - Child Awarded for Facial Scarring When Landlord Failed to Cover Exposed Hot Water Pipe in Living Room
$500,000 $500,000 Settlement in Bluffton, IN
$500,000 Wrongful Death Settlement in Bluffton, Indiana for Woman Killed When She Crossed Center-Line Into Path of Oncoming Speeding Semi-Truck
$500,000 $500,000 Verdict in Kokomo
$500,000 Verdict for Woman Slip and Fall in Domino's Pizza Restaurant on Water (Reduced to $375,000)