Tibia or Fibula Fractures (Tib/Fib) After a Slip and Fall
If You Suffered a Lower Leg or Tib/Fib Fracture After a Fall, Call our Slip and Fall Lawyers in Indiana for Help
The tibial or fibula fracture is perhaps the most common leg fracture after a slip and fall. Often called “ankle” fractures (mistakenly), this fracture can affect mobility for the injured person for years or permanently. Tibial or fibula fractures (often called “tib/fib” by medical professionals) can have permanent consequences of a devastating nature for the injured person.
Fractures are one of the most common injuries in slip and fall accidents, leaving victims with pain, impaired mobility or function, and in some cases a prolonged recovery which can lead to a loss of income as well as costly medical bills. This is especially true for victims who suffer from tibia and fibula fractures.
Tib/fib fractures after a slip and fall accident can be quite painful and disabling, leaving victims unable to walk and in some cases, surgery is required. Most slip and fall accidents are entirely preventable, meaning that the victim could have been unharmed had the hazard that caused the accident been appropriately dealt with. Victims may be impacted financially from the accident as well as physically with significant pain. This is why you should call an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Indiana if you have been injured in an accident to learn what compensation you may be eligible for.
How Do Tibia and Fibula Fractures Occur Due to Slip and Fall Accidents?
Tibia and fibula fractures are unfortunately a common injury from slip and fall accidents. These fractures happen when a person slips on a hazard or because of a hazard that is not taken care of. Examples of hazards causing slip and fall accidents include the following:
- Poorly lit areas
- Untreated ice and snow
- Loose floorboards
- Unlevel flooring
- Wet or dry spill that is not cleaned up
- Freshly mopped or waxed floor with no caution sign
- Debris/Garbage on the floor
- Stairs that are not up to code, and
- Other causes of slip and fall accidents in Indiana.
Learn more about our experienced slip and fall lawyers in Indiana and how we can help you by scheduling a FREE consultation by contacting us today.
What are the Symptoms of a Tibia or Fibula Fracture?
There are certain symptoms which can indicate a person has suffered a tibia or fibula fracture. These symptoms include the following:
- Inability to stand in some cases
- Inability to bear weight
- Inability to walk or instability when walking
- Pain in the lower leg
- Impaired range of motion
- Bruising or discoloration of the skin near the area where the break has occurred
- Obvious deformities (i.e. abnormal bend, shortening of the affected leg)
- Bone protruding through the skin if the person has an open fracture
How Are Tibia and Fibula Fractures Diagnosed and What is the Treatment?
Tibia and fibula fractures are diagnosed with physical exam and the use of x-rays.
The treatment for tibia and fibula fractures largely depends on the type of tibia/fibula fracture, and the severity of the fracture. Common treatments for these fractures due to a slip and fall accident includes the following:
- Open reduction - This is typically performed on open fractures. Open fractures refer to a fracture in which the bone punctured the skin. Open reduction involves exposing the bone to surgically put in back into the correct placement.
- Closed reduction and immobilization - This type of treatment is non-surgical and involves setting the bone in place, with a cast being placed once the bone is in the correct place.
- Internal fixation - This is a surgical method which involves the use of plates, rods, screws and nails under the skin.
- Percutaneous pinning - This involves inserting wires to hold the fractured pieces in the correct place until they are healed. The wires are then removed once healing has occurred.
- External fixation - This involves the use of rods, clamps and pins to stabilize the fracture. The rods, clamps, and pins remain on the outside of the skin.
Did You Suffer a Tib/Fib Fracture After a Slip and Fall in Indiana? We Can Help
Here at McKibben Shaw Law, we know how disabling and debilitating a tib/fib fracture after a slip and fall can be for victims and their families. We work with your treating physicians and may hire experts to help prove your damages and the defendant’s liability in a case.
Tib/fib fractures after a slip and fall accident are some of the most painful but most common personal injuries. They are also one of the most avoidable ones if a defendant properly maintained the premises in a reasonably safe condition.
If you suffered a lower leg injury or fracture like a tib/fib fracture after a slip and fall, call our experienced slip and fall lawyers in Indiana at (260) 777-7777 for a FREE consultation to learn what your rights may be under the law.
Not just the lawyers you need, but the lawyers you WANT.- Tristen K
Jeff Shaw was Very Professional- Shelby Kunes
Attorney Shaw got me a fair settlement, much more than I thought we were going to get.- Randy & Kathy M
I Told Him He Now Felt Like a Member of Our Family More Than Our Attorney.- Stephanie B.
Your Law Firm Is Number One in Indiana. You Receive an A+ in My Book.- April H.
$5,000,000 Verdict in Indianapolis, IN
Bicyclist Struck by Indianapolis School Bus (independent contractor) Awarded $5M by Indianapolis Jury (Upheld by Verdict, $4.4M Paid)
$3,040,000 Verdict in Gary, IN
Blackjack Dealer Awarded for Slip and Fall on Ice in Trump Casino Parking Lot
$1,750,000 Verdict in Hammond, IN
Child Dies in Fire, Landlord Failed to Provide Adequate Smoke Detectors
$1,460,000 Verdict Near the Ozarks of Missouri
Sheriff's Deputy who Collides With Improperly Transported Manufactured Home Convoy
$750,000 Settlement for Paralyzed Man Shot at Indy Gas Station
Man Shot and Paralyzed at Gas Station by Unknown Assailant from Unruly Crowd That Gathered After Murder of Person the Night Before at Same Site
$750,000 Settlement in Indianapolis, IN
$750,000 Settlement Slip and Fall Indianapolis Woman Falls on Water in Produce Section of Indianapolis Grocery Store Breaking Leg.
$750,000 $750,000 Verdict in Delphi, IN
$750,000 Verdict for Lady in Golf Cart Struck by Drunk Driver Awarded by Jury in Carroll County
$605,000 $605,000 Verdict in Valparaiso, IN
$605,000 Verdict - Child Awarded for Facial Scarring When Landlord Failed to Cover Exposed Hot Water Pipe in Living Room
$500,000 $500,000 Verdict in Kokomo
$500,000 Verdict for Woman Slip and Fall in Domino's Pizza Restaurant on Water (Reduced to $375,000)
$500,000 $500,000 Settlement in Bluffton, IN
$500,000 Wrongful Death Settlement in Bluffton, Indiana for Woman Killed When She Crossed Center-Line Into Path of Oncoming Speeding Semi-Truck