Indiana Business Property Injury Lawyer
Ready to Hold the Business Owner Responsible for Your Injuries
Businesses owners have a responsibility to keep its property reasonably safe for patrons. Not only must business owners repair all dangerous defects on the premises, but they must also conduct inspections to discover hazardous conditions. If a business owner fails to keep their property safe and a customer is injured in a slip and fall accident caused by a dangerous condition that the owner should have known about, then the customer may be entitled to financial compensation for their damages.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident at a business in Indiana, look no further than McKibben Shaw Law to protect your rights and best interests throughout the legal process. We have more than three decades of experience primarily focusing on slip and fall cases. Our legal team can thoroughly investigate the accident, collect and assess evidence, determine your legal options, negotiate with insurers, and maximize your entitled compensation.
Do not hesitate to call (800) 777-7777 or complete our online contact form today to schedule a free consultation.
Common Businesses Where Slip & Falls Occur
If you slip and fall in a store, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against that business. Whether it’s a store, mall, restaurant, or local retailer, any business that invites the public on the property is responsible to protect customers from harm.
The following are the common types of business where slip and falls happen:
- Big box stores – Walmart, Target, and Meijer are examples of “big box” stores, which are considered large retail corporations. Common accidents at big box stores include slips and falls in aisles and entryways, slips and falls in parking lots and sidewalks, as well as falling merchandise from high shelves and tripping on merchandise placed in the walkway.
- Convenience stores – Also known as corner shops, convenience stores are small retail businesses that sell everyday items, from groceries and snacks to beer/wine and tobacco products. Common examples of convenience stores include 7-Eleven and Circle K. Not only may there be potentially slippery conditions on the store grounds, but also in restrooms.
- Dollar stores– Dollar stores like Dollar Tree and 99 Cents Only Stores are discount variety stores that sell items for $1 or less. Unfortunately, these stores often try to cut corners on costs, staff, and inspections, resulting in a lack of safety and slip and fall accidents.
- Fast-food restaurants – McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, and other fast-food chains provide ready-to-order meals to customers on the go. However, slip and falls are generally caused by spilled liquids like soft drinks and coffee, frequently mopped floors, and lack of warning signs.
- Gas stations – Gas or filling stations like Chevron, Shell, 76, Arco, and others provide fuel and engine lubricants for motor vehicles, as well as groceries and other items similar to convenience stores. Slip and falls at gas stations can happen inside stores and outside in parking lots during snowy and icy conditions.
- Gyms – Gym injuries may not only occur when you lift weights or strain your muscles, but are also caused by trip and fall and slip and fall accidents due to equipment and floor hazards. Worn out carpet or turf, wet floors due to profuse amounts of sweat or outside of showers, equipment that hasn’t been returned to the proper location, or defective equipment can all be serious hazards.
- Home improvement stores – Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Ace Hardware are home improvement stores that provide tools, appliances, lighting, flooring, home fixtures and accessories, and other building supplies. However, loose debris and supplies on the ground can be slip and fall and trip and fall hazards.
- Hospitals – When you go to the doctor’s office or hospital to treat your injury or illness, the last thing you would want is to suffer further harm. If you suffer a slip and fall or trip and fall injury as a patient and the medical professional is a “qualified healthcare provider under Indiana law, there are certain steps you need to take that our firm can help you with to recover damages for your injury.
- Hotels – Hotels and motels see plenty of new guests on a daily basis, which is why significant cleaning, upkeep, and maintenance are required. Slip and fall accidents can occur from slipping on wet floors near swimming pools, tripping over cables and cords, or falling down in a broken or poorly lit stairwell.
- Restaurants – Spills often occur in dine-in restaurants. If a spill on the floor has not been cleaned up or warned about within a reasonable time and a patron slips and falls because of the spill in question, the restaurant owner can be held liable for the patron’s injuries.
- Retail stores – From JCPenney and Macy’s to Marshalls and Ross, these businesses are owned and operated by a retailer or manufacturer to sell merchandise to customers. Slip and fall accidents can be caused by items on the floor and spilled makeup or liquids.
- Shopping malls – Shopping malls contain a vast number of retailers, from clothing and merchandise to food and drinks. Slip and fall accidents can occur inside and outside shopping malls, whether it’s slippery surfaces, poorly cleaned floors, as well as snowy and wet conditions outside.
How McKibben Shaw Law Can Help
No matter what type of business caused your slip and fall injury, McKibben Shaw Law is ready to help you obtain the most favorable outcome in your case and help you make the best possible recovery from injury. Let us fight for you inside and outside the courtroom.
Contact us today at (800) 777-7777 to discuss your case with our legal team.
Not just the lawyers you need, but the lawyers you WANT.- Tristen K
Jeff Shaw was Very Professional- Shelby Kunes
Attorney Shaw got me a fair settlement, much more than I thought we were going to get.- Randy & Kathy M
I Told Him He Now Felt Like a Member of Our Family More Than Our Attorney.- Stephanie B.
Your Law Firm Is Number One in Indiana. You Receive an A+ in My Book.- April H.
$5,000,000 Verdict in Indianapolis, IN
Bicyclist Struck by Indianapolis School Bus (independent contractor) Awarded $5M by Indianapolis Jury (Upheld by Verdict, $4.4M Paid)
$3,040,000 Verdict in Gary, IN
Blackjack Dealer Awarded for Slip and Fall on Ice in Trump Casino Parking Lot
$1,750,000 Verdict in Hammond, IN
Child Dies in Fire, Landlord Failed to Provide Adequate Smoke Detectors
$1,460,000 Verdict Near the Ozarks of Missouri
Sheriff's Deputy who Collides With Improperly Transported Manufactured Home Convoy
$750,000 $750,000 Verdict in Delphi, IN
$750,000 Verdict for Lady in Golf Cart Struck by Drunk Driver Awarded by Jury in Carroll County
$750,000 Settlement for Paralyzed Man Shot at Indy Gas Station
Man Shot and Paralyzed at Gas Station by Unknown Assailant from Unruly Crowd That Gathered After Murder of Person the Night Before at Same Site
$750,000 Settlement in Indianapolis, IN
$750,000 Settlement Slip and Fall Indianapolis Woman Falls on Water in Produce Section of Indianapolis Grocery Store Breaking Leg.
$605,000 $605,000 Verdict in Valparaiso, IN
$605,000 Verdict - Child Awarded for Facial Scarring When Landlord Failed to Cover Exposed Hot Water Pipe in Living Room
$500,000 $500,000 Settlement in Bluffton, IN
$500,000 Wrongful Death Settlement in Bluffton, Indiana for Woman Killed When She Crossed Center-Line Into Path of Oncoming Speeding Semi-Truck
$500,000 $500,000 Verdict in Kokomo
$500,000 Verdict for Woman Slip and Fall in Domino's Pizza Restaurant on Water (Reduced to $375,000)