Hip Injury After a Slip and Fall
Hip Injuries Are Always Serious and Should be Handled by an Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer in Indiana
Of all the parts of your body that could be injured in a slip and fall, the hip is one of the most complex and potentially life changing. Hip injuries are almost always debilitating, even minor injuries. More serious hip injuries can require surgery, extensive physical therapy, and lead to a prolonged and difficult recovery. When the negligence of a person caused these harms, it could allow a victim to recover compensation for his or her injuries. If you or a loved one suffered a hip injury after a slip and fall, call our experienced slip and fall lawyers at Shaw Law in Indiana to learn how we can help you.
Of all the parts of your body that could be injured in a slip and fall, the hip is one of the most complex and potentially life changing. For severe hip injuries, a person should seek medical attention immediately. Call us today at (260) 777-7777 for your free consultation.
Types of Hip Injuries That Could Be Caused in a Slip and Fall in Indiana
There are many different types of hip injuries. Most are extensive because the hip is considered a stable joint in the pelvis area that is well protected. Thus, when there is a hip injury the force must have been significant to cause injury and damage to it. However, a forceful fall could result break the hip bones or joints, or tear or strain the muscles and tendons.
Types of Hip Injury After a Slip and Fall
- Fracture: A fracture is a broken bone. Each hip is made up of three bones, the ilium, the pubis, and the ischium, and they are all susceptible to breaking. Those with vitamin D deficiency or osteoporosis are more prone to hip fractures, and so a slip and fall accident could be more devastating for these people. Many fractured hips require surgery to heal.
- Dislocation: The hip has a “ball and socket” type of joint. When the ball (the femoral head) is released from its socket, it is considered dislocated and needs to be manipulated back into its proper place. Sometimes a doctor can do this manually, and other cases need surgical intervention.
- Strain: When tendons or a muscle is overextended, this is referred to as a strain. People with hip strain resulting from a slip and fall may find that they have a limited range of motion.
- Bursitis: The cushiony bursa sacs are supposed to lessen the friction of the hip’s tissues. The bursa on the side of your hip is called the trochanteric bursa, and the bursa towards the top of the buttock are called the iliopsoas bursa. The condition known as bursitis happens when any of these bursae become inflamed, leaving the hip to become stiff and painful. Fever may also develop if the bursae are infected.
- Labral Tear: The hip’s socket joint is encircled and cushioned with a cartilage called the labrum. The labrum can tear or be pulled away from the joint when the hip sustains an injury. This can happen when the hip is dislocated during some sort of trauma, like a slip and fall accident. Osteoarthritis may develop in the hip joint.
- Avascular Necrosis: When one of the hip bones does not get enough blood, the bone tissue can die. The hip joint may also degenerate.
- Snapping Hip Syndrome: The IT band (also known as the iliotibial band) is the tissue that attaches the hip muscles to the shin bone (the tibia bone). This IT band can make a snapping sound when someone with a hip injury makes any sort of hip or leg movement, including walking or even getting up from a seated position.
Causes of a Hip Injury
A hip injury happens when the hip bones, joints, muscles, tendons, or nerves sustain injury. Hip injuries are usually the result of a forceful fall on the hip, like a direct blow. However, other hip injuries happen because the leg abnormally bends or twists. The older a person grows, the greater their risk for serious hip injury after a slip and fall. This is because older people have weaker bones than younger people, and they take longer to heal.
Generally, any type of fall can result in a hip injury if the impact as at the right angle and force to cause injury. Hip injuries can happen to anyone and can be severe even for young adults. Slip and falls are a big cause of hip injuries because of the instability of the slip which could shear or tear muscle, and the damage after in the fall. The impact of the fall can also cause the injury and damage to the bones making up the hip joint.
How a Hip Injury Can Affect Work
For severe hip injuries, a person should seek medical attention immediately. A doctor will determine if surgery is needed, or if any weight bearing activity should be avoided. This probably means that they will not be able to return to work any time soon.
If someone has a job that involves long stretches of sitting, walking, or standing, then they may suffer from pain in the hip and groin area if they are not following guidelines to rehabilitate and return to work too soon.
Hip Injuries Can Impact a Person’s Life: Call Our Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyers for Help
If you or a loved one suffered a hip injury after a slip and fall in Indiana, call the experienced slip and fall lawyers in Indiana at (260) 777-7777 or message us to learn how we can help protect your rights.
Not just the lawyers you need, but the lawyers you WANT.- Tristen K
Jeff Shaw was Very Professional- Shelby Kunes
Attorney Shaw got me a fair settlement, much more than I thought we were going to get.- Randy & Kathy M
I Told Him He Now Felt Like a Member of Our Family More Than Our Attorney.- Stephanie B.
Your Law Firm Is Number One in Indiana. You Receive an A+ in My Book.- April H.
$5,000,000 Verdict in Indianapolis, IN
Bicyclist Struck by Indianapolis School Bus (independent contractor) Awarded $5M by Indianapolis Jury (Upheld by Verdict, $4.4M Paid)
$3,040,000 Verdict in Gary, IN
Blackjack Dealer Awarded for Slip and Fall on Ice in Trump Casino Parking Lot
$1,750,000 Verdict in Hammond, IN
Child Dies in Fire, Landlord Failed to Provide Adequate Smoke Detectors
$1,460,000 Verdict Near the Ozarks of Missouri
Sheriff's Deputy who Collides With Improperly Transported Manufactured Home Convoy
$750,000 Settlement for Paralyzed Man Shot at Indy Gas Station
Man Shot and Paralyzed at Gas Station by Unknown Assailant from Unruly Crowd That Gathered After Murder of Person the Night Before at Same Site
$750,000 Settlement in Indianapolis, IN
$750,000 Settlement Slip and Fall Indianapolis Woman Falls on Water in Produce Section of Indianapolis Grocery Store Breaking Leg.
$750,000 $750,000 Verdict in Delphi, IN
$750,000 Verdict for Lady in Golf Cart Struck by Drunk Driver Awarded by Jury in Carroll County
$605,000 $605,000 Verdict in Valparaiso, IN
$605,000 Verdict - Child Awarded for Facial Scarring When Landlord Failed to Cover Exposed Hot Water Pipe in Living Room
$500,000 $500,000 Verdict in Kokomo
$500,000 Verdict for Woman Slip and Fall in Domino's Pizza Restaurant on Water (Reduced to $375,000)
$500,000 $500,000 Settlement in Bluffton, IN
$500,000 Wrongful Death Settlement in Bluffton, Indiana for Woman Killed When She Crossed Center-Line Into Path of Oncoming Speeding Semi-Truck